Friday, April 18, 2008

Culture’s Song

Everyone has their favorite song for different reasons. The fact is like most everyone enjoys some form of music: Hip/hop, rock, Heavy metal, jazz, Christian…. People like music for different reasons some because of the arrangement, the lyrics or maybe because they just like the beat. For whatever reasons, we all enjoy music because it expresses us and our styles music is so versatile that it changes and evolves into different forms all the time. The music industry makes millions of dollars or even billions of dollars a year from CD and digital music sales, but how much of it is really worth buying, not just because of poor quality but because of a poor message? Or does it even really matter if we buy these albums? If everyone would post some lyrics of their favorite songs or songs that are currently popular at your schools and with your friends we can kick off this discussion.

Mikkel Lysne

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Mik,

My musical tastes are all over the page like: Brittany Dillon, James Taylor, Nickelback, Chris Tomlin, Mainstay, Stephen Speaks, and Fee. I don't think is matters who or what the music is; i think it is the sense of passion inside me that it connects to.

I think it is the same with the teachings of Christ. It's not that important how I get there, by what denomination, medium, or translation. But there is something that connects in my heart when I hear what He teaches. I think Christ stirs in my soul a passion for the truth.

Anonymous said...

That is a very cool view how Christ causes this passion for the truth. On the muscal side I love a lot of indie style such as spoon, but when it comes to finding bands that have a view thats not negative or post modern and have a christian view it can be tough. In ways I feel the christian music labels tend to put out alot of the same stuff, such as live worship albums. I'm not saying those are bad, but I do feel that christian music has in ways replicated main-stream music and style.

Unknown said...

You are right about Christian music...it seems like there is a 3-5 year cycle of stuff that comes out and you kind of wear it out.

One thing I have started to do is to look for Christ in secular mediums. I have especially seen this is a lot of motion pictures and you hear it a lot in popular music if you listen for it. It shows you how pervasive these principles are when even non-christians are espousing these truths. You can also find the truth of Christ in books and writings.

Check out the site purplestateofmind.com. A guy I knew in college has made a very thought provoking movie. I have ordered it and was going to see if you guys would be interested in watching and discussing at the Hub one night.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I agree with finding Jesus in the secular media, it seems like hollywoods making some more redeeming films now days that have some of the same christian values . I also checked out that website and that looks like its going to be good. Let me know when you plan on showing it.